A big part of the holiday season is food. When I think of food for the holidays, stuffing is always in the top 3. The pumpernickel bread adds a great flavor!
- 1 lb regular ground sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large stalks of celery, chopped
- 4 cups of dried white bread, cubed
- 4-5 cups cubed pumpernickel bread (I don’t dry or toast the pumpernickel)
- 1 stick butter
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon chicken base powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
In a large pot, brown the sausage. Once browned, move to a bowl and set aside.
Add butter, chopped onion and celery to the pot. Over medium heat, cook until celery and onions are tender.
Add sausage back to the pot.
Add dried white bread. Stir until coated. Add 1 cup chicken broth.
Add pumpernickel bread and seasonings. Stir until combined.
Slowly add additional broth until the bread is moist but still holding together.
Place in well greased 9×13 baking pan.
Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.